LOS TIGRES DEL NORTE AND LOS LOBOS PERFORMED AT MALDEF’S “TRUTH IN IMMIGRATION” EDUCATIONAL CONCERT
Los Tigres del Norte and Los Lobos joined Thomas A. Saenz, MALDEF President and General Counsel, to deliver messages of humanity and hope during concert
October 1, 2010
View Concert GalleryLOS ANGELES, CA – On Tuesday night, Grammy Award winning artists, Los Tigres del Norte and Los Lobos performed a concert supporting MALDEF’s “Truth in Immigration” Educational Campaign at the Gibson Amphitheatre at Universal CityWalk in Universal City. The world-renowned groups played to a packed house with songs about the Latino experience in the U.S. MALDEF delivered heart-felt speeches and put forth a crowd-stirring program about the organization’s recent and ongoing immigration-related efforts, including the fight to defeat SB 1070.
Thomas A. Saenz, MALDEF President and General Counsel, stated “I can think of no better launch to our expanded ‘Truth in Immigration’ campaign than this exciting concert with the incomparable Los Tigres Del Norte and the legendary Los Lobos. Their music can help to lead us to a more civil, humane, and informed discussion of critical policy issues.”
MALDEF’s “Truth in Immigration” educational campaign seeks to educate the public about immigration reform by disseminating accurate and positive messages about our current immigration system and contributions of Latino immigrants in the United States. Through this Campaign, MALDEF is working to ensure that legal and factual inaccuracies about Latinos and other immigrants are quickly and soundly dispelled. The Campaign is a critical component of MALDEF’s educational missions and litigation efforts related to protecting the rights of immigrants.
At the concert, MALDEF shared “Five Truths” about immigration with supporters in the audience.
- The United States is an independent nation in part because of a reaction to a restrictive immigration policy by the King of England.
- Our status as one nation also depends on maintaining one immigration policy set by the federal government.
- Critical industries in the United States depend on undocumented immigrant workers, as American-born workers have indicated no interest in adopting the lifestyle required of such work.
- Our current immigration system discriminates on the basis of national origin, or ancestry, requiring much longer waits for persons coming from countries like Mexico, China, India and the Philippines.
- More than two million undocumented immigrants came to this country as minor children.
A winner of five GRAMMY and five LATIN GRAMMY Awards, Los Tigres del Norte is a creative social force and a prominent voice of social conscience within Latin music. Los Lobos is a three-time Grammy Award winning American Chicano rock band with influences from rock and roll, Tex-Mex, country music, folk, R&B, blues, and traditional Spanish and Mexican music such as boleros and norteño.